Boxing news,Manchester switch for Khan fight

Manchester switch for Khan fight

Amir Khan
Khan was an impressive winner over Barrera in his last bout

Amir Khan's first world title fight has been delayed for three weeks so that his opponent Andreas Kotelnik can recover from a tooth infection.

Khan, 22, was set to face the Ukrainian WBA light-welterweight champion on 27 June, but they will now meet at the MEN Arena in Manchester on 18 July.

The bout was due to take place at London's O2 Arena, but the venue was not available for the new date.

Bolton's Khan beat Marco Antonio Barrera at the MEN Arena in March.

He is moving up a division from lightweight to take on Kotelnik for his first attempt at world title glory.

Khan said: "I'm delighted that the fight is still on, and when 18 July comes I will never be more ready for him although, the postponement is a pain.

"These things happen so I have to be professional and stay focused. However, when I'm crowned world champion it will make up for it."


"Freddie Roach is adjusting my training accordingly so that I'm ready for the new date and I'm at my peak both physically and mentally."

Khan added: "I was looking forward to headlining at the O2 Arena again as I have a lot of fans in London.

"I always get a great reception there so hopefully I can go back sometime soon, maybe for my first defence.

"I had a great night at the MEN Arena against Barrera last time out and now I aim to win the world title against Kotelnik there, too."

Kotelnik won the WBA title in March 2008, defeating Welshman Gavin Rees in Cardiff with a 12th-round stoppage.

The 31-year-old has suffered two defeats in a 34-fight career, while Khan has been beaten once.

That defeat for Khan came in September 2008 when he was beaten inside a minute by Breidis Prescott.

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Search This Blog